#14 sacristy

The sacristy served and serves the clergy and their helpers as a preparation room.
This is where the vestments and tools for church activities are often kept.
The sacristy was moved to this place when it was last remodeled.
This renovation, which was the most extensive in the history of the church and almost amounted to a new building, began in 1901.
Your architect was Fritz Jakob from Hanover. The newly designed church was consecrated in 1902.
In the Middle Ages this church had up to 7 altars, which were donated by wealthy residents.
But they also came from foreign parishes that were parish here.
Each of these altars was cared for by several clergymen of various ranks.
Ample donations and foundations served to maintain the church, the altars, the clergy and the furnishings.
Except for the Marien Altar, all were destroyed.
This preserved winged altar from the late Gothic period is one of the best preserved and most valuable medieval altars in the surrounding area and the Altmark.
According to an inscription, the choir behind the sacristy was completed in 1381.
A church window adorns the coat of arms of the Grand Dukes of Hesse, who held the patronage of the church at the time of the redesign.
From time immemorial, the lords of the castle and the city’s magistrate have always had this patronage.
That is, they were responsible for the maintenance of the church and for filling the positions with clergy.
After the fall of the Wall, an artistically very meaningful brochure was published about this church, which was also supported by the family of the Dukes of Hesse and the von Bülows family foundation.

search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close